Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Oh great.

Allow me to start with a story:

The day was last week. I was sitting down enjoying some Shakespeare's pizza with some friends and I turned to one and said, "Isn't it strange how graduation is in a week and we haven't heard any information about it at all?"
He tilted his head, puzzled, and said, "What are you talking about? They've been sending crap out all semester."
Well, it turns out that the department of engineering has been sending out info about graduation, you know, important stuff like when to pick up tickets for your family, when the deadline was to make sure your name is correct in the graduation book, what to do the day of graduation...
and I was left off the email list entirely.

Yeah, somehow I slipped through the cracks.

So, I decided to send some emails. If you picture a graph with Niceness on the Y axis, and Time on the X, you would see a steep negative correlation. On the contrary, a graph with Effectiveness on the Y, and Jerk-itude on the X, you would see a steep positive correlation.

The first email I got back (the nicest of them all) got a response saying it was my fault, essentially.
The third or fourth email I got (after basically saying "So, I spend 4 years at this school and go $50,000 in debt and my parents wont get to see their only son walk across the stage because of your mistake?") had a response saying "The dean has a signed note in his office that your parents may present to the ushers allowing you 6 guests."

Unfortunately I feel as though the lesson I learned was the more difficult you are, the more things get done.

I dont want to be a jerk though. I know how bad it sucks to deal with jerks. I guess jerkiness begot jerkiness though and it worked.

And now my family will be at my graduation. Thats good.

I said I was going to start with a story but I didn't really have anything else to say.
Sorry.

2 comments:

LaurenW said...

your graphs make me smile quite large. CONGRATS, keith! graduation will be awesome, and i am glad your parents get to come. and i am also glad i might get to see you ooooooooh tomorrow. ;)

Chris Swift said...

can you please draw out those graphs next time? I mean DRAW GRAPHS NEXT TIME LOSER.